Register now and share widely. All the webinars will be recorded; some CLEs have been approved and some are pending, but if you can't attend live, go ahead and register to receive the recordings. Be sure to check out the updated FLS YouTube channel for all your training needs!
August-December 2021 Webinars
Updated August 24, 2021
- August 24 from 12-1:30: GAL: Nurturing Our Newborns: Advocacy in Early Childhood Court. Learn about Orange County’s BABY Court and tips for GAL advocacy.
- September 1 from 12-1:30: All Better: How to Handle SSI/SSDI Medical Cessation Cases
- September 14 from 12-1:30 - How to Become an Unintentional Hero. Learn how to intentionally and unintentionally best serve your client survivors of domestic violence through empathy training.
September 22 from 1-2pm: Family Guardianship Workshop with Ha Thu Dao @Christie D. Arkovich, P.A. (1 General & 0.5 Ethics CLEs approved): In this course, you will learn why guardianship should be on the mind of every professional who works with the elderly population and how to best position our clients (1) to avoid guardianship, and (2) to install a family guardian over a professional guardian, if guardianship cannot be avoided.
- September 28 from 12-1:30: GAL: Child Protection Team: All You Need to Know. Learn how to handle all cases involving children and families while resolving family disputes.
- October 5 from 12-1:30 - Domestic Violence Injunctions with Kimberly Palmer, LAS Family Staff Attorney: Learn how to file a domestic violence injunction and secure a final judgment in your favor.
- October 19 from 12-1:30- GAL Finding a Forever Family: Adoptions and GAL Advocacy. Presenters: Deondra Milton, Adoptions Embrace Families; Renee Gandy, Adoption Specialist One Hope United; Marie Priebe, LAS GAL Staff Attorney: Learn advocacy skills essential to assisting in adoptions.
- October 22 from 12-2: Foster Adoption Subsidies with Maria Bates @Maria Bates Law PLLC. Co-sponsored by Florida's Children First.
- November 1 from 12-1:30: Military Mondays: Veterans Cultural Competency with Declan Duffy @JALA & Tyler Solorio @Swords to Plowshares
- November 2 from 12-1:30- VAWA and U Visas for Victims of Crimes with Ana Bernal Roberts, LAS Immigration Staff Attorney: Learn how to help immigrant victims of domestic violence or violent crimes.
- November 8 from 12-1:30- Military Mondays: Non-citizen Veterans & the Naturalization Process with Nicqelle Godfrey @Veterans Pro Bono Consortium
- November 10 from 12-1- Productivity Hacks & Time Management with Laura Kelley @The Joyful Attorney
- November 15 from 12-1:30- Military Mondays: Veterans Records Review with Olivia Cole @Swords to Plowshares
- November 16 from 12-1:30- GAL "Baker Acts and Long-Term Placements: How to Advocate for Dependent Youth in Residential Treatment" Coravious Cowart, LAS GAL Litigation Director & Alrick Esberry, LAS GAL Case Coordinator: Learn the process for having a youth Baker Acted and placed in a long-term residential treatment facility. It will teach PB GALs how to advocate for youth in these settings.
- November 29 from 9-12- Military Mondays: VA Accreditation Course with James Heaton @Legal Aid Service of Broward County
- December 7 from 12-1:30 - Sealing and Expungement of Adult Records with Laura Sanchez, LAS Staff Attorney: Learn how to assist clients with sealing and expunction of Florida criminal records.
- December 14 from 12-1:30 - GAL "Conditions for Return Part II: Advocating for Return of Children to Parental Custody" with Coravious Cowart, LAS GAL Litigation Director: Learn how to enhance understanding of the method to return children safely to parents.
Please consider joining this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, or law school faculty advising low income and disadvantaged clients: there are resources here to help you. You are also invited to join this site if you are a paralegal or support staff in a legal services or legal aid program. Membership is granted to legal services attorneys and staff. All others may join by express permission of the practice area leader only.
Helpful Training Links:
FLS YouTube page (recorded trainings): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDyqnGMwDkpvl2bKGsh5YgA/featured
Justice in Aging: http://justiceinaging.org/resources-for-advocates/webinars/
Florida Bar Legal Fuel (free resources & webinars): https://www.legalfuel.com/
Law for Black Lives: http://www.law4blacklives.org/webinars
Leadership and Supervision Links: