Welcome! This website provides resources to help lawyers and advocates better serve low-income survivors of disasters. Membership is available only to legal services attorneys. All others by express permission of this site's practice area leader only.
Hurricane Irma News and Announcements
- DOE announced efforts to assist Puerto Rican Maria survivors, including not only that Florida will accept 20,000 Puerto Rican students into Florida Virtual School (FLVS) whether students are still in Puerto Rico or in Florida, but also that it will enroll displaced K-12 students in local schools.
- Federal announcement allowing Hurricane Maria survivors from Puerto Rico to apply for SNAP in Florida.
- FEMA says that it is approving one-time $500
payments per household to Irma survivors who have immediate/critical needs
because they are displaced from their primary dwelling due to the
hurricane. FEMA defines immediate or critical needs as life-saving and
life-sustaining items and may include water, food, first aid,
prescriptions, infant formula, diapers, durable medical equipment, and fuel
- FEMA’s Operation Blue Roof Program is now available to homeowners impacted by Irma. This program provides blue plastic sheeting to reduce further damage to property until permanent repairs can be made.
- Florida Virtual School (FLVS) will provide remote access to educational resources to all Florida students displaced by Hurricane Irma. The State says that students should go to www.flvs.net to begin the registration process or email email@example.com for special accommodations.
- JPMorgan Chase Announced Actions to help Consumers and Businesses in FEMA-Declared Areas After Hurricane Irma
- Tax Relief for Victims of Hurricane Irma in Florida
- FEMA Florida Hurricane Irma Page
- Check the Federal Register for FEMA Announcements.
- Flood insurance requirements, here.
- Flood insurance flyer, here.